Nothing better than testing the track in 1:1…as I found out, the initial track plan had a flaw, where the throwbar hit the track next to it, so I had to adjust the spacing (adding in 2cm pieces of track) to move the turnouts slightly away from each other. In this photo I am testing the whole yard spacing, making sure the turnouts don’t interfere with each other and the adjoining track. Another good reason is to check where the turnouts are in relation to the module crosspieces, so that switch motors can be installed without having to offset them […]
Planning is progressing well for the lower level staging yard. Using AnyRail, I’ve been trying out a few designs for the two staging yards, one for the freight and one for the Metra passenger service. While using track planning software helps a huge deal, nothing beats laying it out in situ. In fact, doing so showed up a huge flaw in the AnyRail plan I’d done, or rather, the way AnyRail does the turnout drawing (I’ll show you what that was in a future video). In the meantime, I printed out the adjusted track plan and overlaid it on the […]
Follow along as I continue the build of my N scale model railroad. In this episode I complete the helix build by showing you the hardware I use for the block detection of my helix and give you a demonstration of the block detection in use. Be sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel to follow my layout building progress. Also please follow my Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/chicagosubnscale as I will be adding photos and updates to that as I build my new layout.
Follow along as I continue the build of my N scale model railroad. In this episode I complete the wiring and track laying in the helix. I explain how I did the blocks for train detection and how I wired the helix. Be sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel to follow my layout building progress. Also please follow my Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/chicagosubnscale as I will be adding photos and updates to that as I build my new layout.
Productive day today – finished the wiring of my helix and connected it to the Digitrax BXP88 block detector. Successfully ran 2 shuttle schedules using Railroad & Co, testing two locos up and down the helix. Now just to wait for the first baseboard kits to arrive and I can get started on my yards.
The exciting part has started…gluing down the track on the helix and adding the wiring! Busy filming it all, so new video out soon!
Something to keep you occupied till my next video…from the archives – dismantling my old Rochelle Intermodal layout to make way for my new BNSF Chicago Sub layout…18 years of layout gone in 28 seconds! I tore down my old layout just over a year ago…and the new one is just starting to rise up from the ashes! New video coming out early next week – the helix arrives! Unboxing and first look! Be sure to SUBSCRIBE to see it first!